We joined Costco last year after considering the cost vs benefits; we host guests at our house and tailgate a lot, so buying toilet paper and plastic utensils in bulk probably would have been worth it alone! I also did some research on whether or not I would be able to find food items. Google “vegan Costco” and see for yourself!
Dave offered to cover a shared membership if I would do the shopping, which worked out perfectly since I’m cheap and he hates shopping.
I don’t go very often, maybe once a month, but I feel like I find something new and fun almost every time. Recently they’ve added a separate organic section full of amazing things like Dave’s Killer Bread, coconut water, and flax and chia seeds in large quantities for very reasonable prices. I was in a hurry last time I went, but you can bet next time I will be stocking my freezer with some delicious Dave’s Killer Bread!
Here are the food items I bought the first two times I went.
Clockwise-ish from bottom left:
- many pounds of organic short grain brown rice – $12.69
- two pounds organic raspberries – $3.99
- big box of Mary’s Gone Crackers (two bags inside) – $7.49 on sale
- box of like 16 double packs of Eclipse gum – $8.99 on sale
- 1.5L bottle of Yellowtail Shiraz – $8.69
- four pack of firm tofu – $3.79
- eight cans of chickpeas – $5.79 (they had sugar in them [blech] but on subsequent trips the beans have been without sugar)
- giant bag of organic baby kale – $3.99
- delicious sweet mini peppers – $3.99
- big tub of Sabra hummus, like double the regular size – $5.99
- six pack of unsweetened Almond Breeze – $8.89
- ten seaweed snacks – $6.99 (Kirkland brand is a little oilier than Trader Joe’s, but also cheaper)
- sack of red potatoes – $4.79
- big bag of organic baby kale – $4.49 (it’s practically impossible for me to pass baby kale and not buy it)
- eight cans organic diced tomatoes – $5.99
- eight cans of organic kidney beans – $6.79
- massive bag of roasted pistachios – $14.99 (might seem like a lot, but if you look at the price of a small bag in a regular store, it’s a good deal. We love these for baseball games.)
- more Persian cucumbers than I could eat before they started going bad – $4.99
- many, many snap peas – $5.79
- big tub of Pita Pals hummus – $5.99
- frozen pineapple chunks – $6.59
- frozen organic “supreme” berry blend – $9.99
Lastly, I impulse-bought this set of four melamine bowls with lids, on sale for $15.99. I love the colors!