I wasn’t even close to doing everything on my 31 Before 31 list, but I’m glad I wrote it because it really did help me to focus on my goals. Here are the results!
Stuff that I did:
Hike to the peak of Mount Tamalpais. Done, and it was so awesome that I’m hoping to go back soon and do an even longer hike! Here are a few pictures.
Take a kickboxing class. It was literally one of the hardest things I’ve ever done in my life.
Try acupuncture. It didn’t help with the issue I went for, but it sure was interesting!
Borrow a foreign cuisine non-vegan cookbook from the library and try at least three recipes. I chose Mexico One Plate At A Time by Rick Bayless. His recipes looked so good that it was hard to choose only three.
Potato Chorizo Tacos with Avocado Salsa (recipe posted here). These were so good, and so easy to make! I used Trader Joe’s Soyrizo.
Smoky Chipotle Beans with Wilted Spinach and Masa Dumplings (recipe posted here). You soak dried black beans, then cook them with onion and garlic, and it turns it to this wonderful, thick broth. Then you add in tomato, chipotle and spinach, and simmer the masa dumplings on top. This took some time to make, but the flavor was so worth it. The side dish is my attempt at turnips Gracias Madre-style.
Chipotle Chicken Salad Tacos (lettuce wraps) and Red Rice. I reduced the oil in the salad and left off the avocado, and the salad really could’ve used one or the other to balance the flavor – it was SPICY. For the rice, I followed Bayless’ directions to substitute brown rice for white, and while the rice was cooked through the dish was still watery. Tasty though.
Advertise personal chef services at discounted rate. Done.
Register for Vida Vegan conference. Yes! I’m going!
Get trumpet cleaned.
Fix and update iTunes library.
Plant herbs in the flower box.
Get a few houseplants and try to keep them alive. I’m still working on the keeping them alive part.
Get a new phone. Got an iPhone, and love it!
Learn some basic conversational Spanish. I’m through chapter 12 of Spanish for Dummies and can say more words and phrases than before, so I consider this done. I’m going to keep working on it.
Visit a city I’ve never been to. Done twice – Clayton GA and Mendocino CA.
Go to SFMOMA or the de Young. Went to SFMOMA in December. Favorite sculpture:
Go on a picnic. I took a picnic lunch on my Mt. Tam hike.
Tempeh Salad from Vegweb, made with half the mayo and tamari, on a multigrain wrap with Persian cucumbers and red bell pepper.
Stuff I did not do, which may or may not be on my 32 before 32 list:
1. Jog 2 miles without feeling like dying afterward. (I have been jogging, but my stamina isn’t up to two miles straight yet.)
3. Work up to ten real push ups. (I tried, but am not even close.)
7. Finalize the list of recipes for my zine idea and work on at least five recipes.
9. Enter all of the recipes I Have printed into Living Cookbook database. (I didn’t realize what a huge project this is. Am chipping away at it little by little.)
10. Read at least chapters 5-7 of On Food and Cooking.
11. Change blog template.
12. Update blog roll.
14. Invest in some props for food photography and take more interesting pictures.
17. Go to a symphony concert.
18. Finalize the list of songs for cover album project and start to think about style/arrangements.
23. Take a day trip up or down highway 1.
25. Go to Millennium and order the Frugal Foodie prix fix menu.
26. Take an SF City Guide walking tour.
28. Host a dinner party.
29. Walk across the Golden Gate Bridge.
30. Watch the eight movies on this list that I haven’t seen.