When I received lavender in my CSA a while back, I had absolutely no idea what to do with it. I had heard that if you use too much culinary lavender food can taste soapy, so I set about finding a few ways to use it well.
First, I adapted the White Bean Hummus with Fresh Thyme and Basil from Eat, Drink & Be Vegan. All I really changed were the herbs – I used fresh thyme, rosemary and lavender. It was a bit on the soapy side, so I probably used just a bit too much.
Next, I adapted this recipe for Peppered Lavender Beef. Really, I just stole the seasoning mix idea. I ground up black and white peppercorns, fennel seeds, thyme and lavender, rubbed it on some extra firm tofu, and baked it. I really like the method of dry rubbing and baking tofu, it gives the tofu a great texture. I served the tofu with dijon sauce, scalloped zucchini and slow roasted tomatoes. You can tell this is from over a month ago, when zucchini and tomatoes were still in season!
Lastly, and possibly most successfully, I adapted this recipe for Apple Lavender Muffins, making it vegan, whole grain and lower-fat. These muffins are moist with a large crumb, and lightly sweet and flavorful. The original recipe yielded 12 muffins, but somehow my batter was only enough for 9.
Apple Lavender Muffins
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup spelt flour
1/2 cup oat flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup almond milk
1 Tbs lavender flowers
2 Tbs unsweetened applesauce
2 Tbs walnut oil or other mild-flavored oil
1 medium apple, peeled and diced (about 1 cup), divided
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Spray nine muffin tins with oil or line with muffin cups.
3. In large bowl, sift together flours, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in center.
4. In separate bowl, whisk together almond milk, lavender, applesauce and oil. Add milk mixture to flour mixture and stir gently just until batter is evenly moistened. Fold in 1/2 cup of the apples.
5. Fill prepared muffin tins about three-quarters full. Gently tap filled tins to release any air bubbles.
6. Sprinkle remaining diced apple over muffins. Bake until toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes our clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool muffins in pan about 10 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack.
Yield: 9 muffins
Amount Per Serving
Calories From Fat (24%) 34.82
% Daily Value
Total Fat 3.95g 6%
Saturated Fat 0.39g 2%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 246.44mg 10%
Potassium 55.61mg 2%
Total Carbohydrates 26.99g 9%
Fiber 2.41g 10%
Protein 2.3g 5%
Get thee some lavender and make these muffins!