I left work a bit early again today to get to the farmer’s market, and boy was it worth it. The produce is gorgeous this time of year. Eggplant and squashes abounded, but I’ve been eating a lot of those lately so I went for some different stuff.
Tomatoes, fresh field peas, lamb’s quarter, a huge bunch of basil, and okra. The field peas are very similar to a black-eyed pea, just green, and since they were fresh all I had to do was simmer them for an hour. The veggies were so pretty today that they each got a glamour shot.
Lamb’s quarter is an ancient green that apparently grows wild almost everywhere. The guy at the booth also called it wild spinach, and handed me a leaf to try. Raw it was pretty bitter, but once cooked it tastes incredibly similar to spinach.
While I was messing with the tomatoes this little inch worm crawled out. He was trying desperately to get off the tomato and was hard to photograph. One of the tomatoes had a hole in it, so I wonder if he was in there nibbling.
For dinner I made Green-Wa from Yellow Rose Recipes (another winner), with lots of changes. Using what I had, I went for a more southern flavor. I subbed the field peas for green peas, white onion for green, lamb’s quarter for spinach, dill for cilantro, and mustard powder, paprika and white pepper for curry powder. I added nutritional yeast and a squeeze of lemon juice for oomph. What I ended up with smelled like spanakopita due to the dill, and tasted delicious. While I was putting this together I roasted the okra and some of the tomatoes with olive oil spray and grill seasoning. I don’t know what it is, but even in the heat I keep turning on the oven. Everything I want is roasted or baked!
I like how it looks like the plate is floating. Out of character for me, I finished cooking before the sun went down and went out on the balcony for the picture. I topped the green-wa with mashed avocado, purely because it was ready to be eaten.
Miss Caroline at The Broccoli Hut tagged me with this little survey. I actually like filling these out but I’m changing the U’s to you. Proper English, people, let’s use it.
1) LAST MOVIE YOU SAW IN A THEATRE? There Will Be Blood. I really don’t like seeing movies in the theater because it costs too much and there is inevitably some idiot in there talking on their phone or trying to shush their toddler. I think we saw this on a weekday afternoon, so it was relatively quiet, and Daniel Day Lewis and Johnny Greenwood are amazing.
2) WHAT BOOK ARE YOU READING? Today I finished Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw, and tomorrow I’ll start God Bless You, Dr. Kevorkian by Kurt Vonnegut.
3) FAVOURITE BOARD GAME? In a group, Cranium or Trivial Pursuit. Just for two, Scrabble or Boggle.
4) FAVOURITE MAGAZINE? VegNews or Vegetarian Times
5) FAVOURITE SMELLS? honeysuckle, roasted garlic, certain men’s colognes
10) FUTURE CHILD’S NAME? I haven’t given much though to this, I’ll cross that bridge when I get there. It will definitely be unique, but no crazy spellings or anything.
11) FINISH THIS STATEMENT—IF I HAD A LOT OF MONEY I’D…Buy a house, give to a lot of charities, load up on specialty foods, start a business.
12) DO YOU DRIVE FAST? I go with the flow, sometimes it’s a little above the limit. I’m no speed demon though.
16) FAVOURITE DRINK? Beer – a good hefeweizen or 90 minute IPA. Liquor – vishkey. Wine – Yellowtail Shiraz. Juice – OJ. Soda – Cherry Coke Zero. Mostly I just drink water.
17) FINISH THIS STATEMENT – IF I HAD THE TIME I WOULD…Volunteer for a couple places, cook everything, call friends and family more often.
21) FAVOURITE SPORTS TO WATCH? UF football or NFL, and I’ve adopted bf’s teams – Oakland A’s and Golden State Warriors.
22) ONE NICE THING ABOUT THE PERSON WHO SENT THIS TO YOU? Hmmm, I don’t know Caroline very well, but I can tell that she really loves her family.
26) OVER EASY OR SUNNY SIDE UP? The tofu scramble, with veggies.
27) FAVOURITE PLACE TO RELAX? On my bed just before sleepytime, with a logic puzzle and some tea.